We Need Your Help
To help support a petition to the federal government to expand the farmers’ market nutrition coupon program fund.
Please visit the Information Tent to sign our petition on or before October 7th.
Petition: Request for the creation of a national farmers’ market nutrition coupon program fund Canadian Farmers’ Markets is asking the Government of Canada to create a national nutrition coupon program fund that will strengthen and grow all existing and proposed provincial and territorial farmers’ markets nutrition coupon programs across Canada.
We are securing signatures on petitions at farmers’ markets in communities across Canada, each of which will be tabled by a regional Member of Parliament during the fall House of Commons sitting of 2023. The more petitions we secure, the more MPs who will bring this issue to the table. With your support, we can help expand nutrition coupon programs across Canada!
● Provincial farmers market nutrition coupon programs are successful with multiple impacts including strengthening food security, sustaining local farmers and foodlands, providing nutritionally vulnerable households access to healthy locally grown foods, promoting community inclusion and reducing social isolation, and positively impacting the physical and mental
health of participants by increasing the amount and diversity of fresh fruits, vegetables and proteins they eat;
● In 2022 18.5% of all Canadians experienced food insecurity, up from nearly 16% in 2021;
● The Government of Canada introduced its Food Policy for Canada in 2019, the Emergency Food Security Fund in 2020, and the Local Food Infrastructure Fund in 2020, yet Canada’s food insecurity rates continue to rise;
● Since 2012, the British Columbia Farmers; Market Nutrition Coupon Program has increased access to healthy, nutritious food at farmers markets while directly supporting BC farmers and supporting food security across the province;
● Other provinces including Nova Scotia (since 2019) and Manitoba (since 2020) and their provincial farmers’ market organisations have also implemented highly successful programs;
● 100% of coupon dollars redeemed in farmers; market nutrition coupon programs directly benefit Canadian farmers and producers;
● Demand for food security measures is soaring in Canada; and
● A federal nutrition coupon program fund would assist in meeting this demand, encourage provinces without a provincial nutrition coupon program to create one, and support those provinces who have a provincial nutrition coupon program to expand to meet demand.
Therefore, we, the undersigned citizens and residents of Canada, petition to call upon the Government of Canada to create a national nutrition coupon program fund that will strengthen and grow all existing and proposed provincial and territorial farmers; markets nutrition coupon programs across Canada.